Littlefield Gallery: Founding Family of Wells
The name Littlefield signifies “dweller at the little field.” Edmund and Annis Littlefield and their six children traveled from England to settle in the town of Wells. Edmund’s first mill was at the edge of the salt marsh, a short distance south of the Meetinghouse. Early town boundaries, from the Kennebunk River to the Ogunquit River, were marked by his mills.
At his death in 1661, Edmund Littlefield was one of the most prosperous men in Wells in terms of land and mill privileges. He was survived by more than forty grandchildren, progenitors of Littlefields in Wells today. Historians recognize him as the “Father of Wells.”